Get a deeper understanding of the astrology signs by getting to know the Modes (Cardinal, Fixed, and Mutable)…
Cardinal: Aries, Cancer, Libra, Capricorn
Fixed: Taurus, Leo, Scorpio, Aquarius
Mutable: Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius, Pisces
- There are 3 ways that the signs are categorized – this actually is the root of interpreting aspects (sextile, square, trine) – when you understand the modes, it will help you easily see aspects in a chart over time with practice.
- The Categories are: Gender (or yin/yang, or active/passive), Element (fire, earth, air, water) AND the Mode (cardinal, fixed, and mutable). Note: this is simply Western astrology, Chinese astrology they use a different element system, not universal.
- Mode tells us about the general pacing of a planet. You can think of it as where the planet is within the process of life (beginning, middle, or end (aka transition).
- Cardinal: beginnings, initiation, quick movement, in the now
- Fixed: sustaining, slow, little to no change, developing
- Mutable: change, transition, not as fast as cardinal but not as slow as fixed. This is about 2 – the choosing, the changing, the movement between.
- How to interpret? What planet are you looking at, what does it symbolize?
- Modes are used especially in horary astrology to ask a question and they show how quick or slow things will happen.
- When we’re looking at transits (or natal), it’s more about how active and dynamic is that planet…that lends itself to the interpretation and we combine that with the element and house.
- Aspects: it also means that any planet who shares the same mode will be square or opposite. These are often seen to be challenging aspects…which seems odd since they have something in common but maybe this is because all the common energy moves toward a certain energy with a lot of force.
Hope you find this helpful! Leave a comment and let me know what mode your Moon is in. How would you interpret this in your life?
Love reading your thoughts in the comments, thank you for watching and sharing!